- Wear your retainer at all times, until Dr. Buchwald instructs otherwise.
- Take your retainer out when eating and drinking anything other than water and always put it back in its case. Most retainers are lost in school during lunch or at restaurants when wrapped in a napkin.
- Clean the retainer thoroughly once a day with a toothbrush using warm (not hot) water. Brushing retainers removes the plaque and eliminates odors. Efferdent or other orthodontic appliance cleaners can be used but do not take the place of brushing.
- When your retainer is not in your mouth it should always be in its case (never loose in your pocket).
- Keep your retainer out of reach of pets as they love to chew on them and have even been known to chew through retainer cases.
- Initially, you may find it difficult to speak with your retainer. Practice speaking, reading, or singing out loud to get used to it faster.
- Retainers are breakable so treat yours with care. If your retainer gets lost or broken, call us.
- If you have any questions or concerns about your retainer, or you believe it needs adjusting, call us. Do not try to adjust it yourself.
- Always bring your retainer to your appointments.
- Retainer replacements are expensive but with proper care they will last for years.
- Remove your retainer when you go swimming.
- Keep retainers away from hot water, hot cars/dashboards, and washing machines/dryers.
6549 Coit Road #124
Frisco, TX 75035